Buckden, Towers Gatehouse and Parish Church, September 2012
A fine view of Buckden Towers Inner Gatehouse and the parish church of St. Mary to the right.
The Gatehouse formed the inner entrance to the Palace of the Bishops of Lincoln, built c1485-90 and the bridge in the foreground originaly crossed the moat, now a ditch excavated by the Fenland Archaeological Trust in 1992/3. The coat of arms of John Russell, Bishop of Lincoln from 1480 to 1494, is to be seen over the archway, and through the archway may be seen St. Hugh’s Roman Catholic church.
Behind the wall to the right is Queen Katherine’s Knot Garden (please see other related photos), with the tower and spire (built c1435) of St. Mary’s parish church beyond.
The Gatehouse and the rest of the Towers has been restored and maintained by the Roman Catholic Claretian Missionaries since 1956 with help from the Friends of Buckden Towers. The grounds of the Towers are open to well-behaved public, but no dogs are permitted.
These are the most popular keywords used on the site.
View all the keywords used in this catalogue.