Buckden Towers Palace, Knot Garden, January 2009
The Queen Katherine Knot Garden in Buckden Towers (formerly the Palace of the Bishops of Lincoln) seen from the bell chamber of St. Mary’s parish church in January 2009.
Formerly the kitchen garden of the Towers this area was designed and laid out by William Dawson, with the help of men from Littlehay prison at nearby Perry, from 1992 to 1995. It is dedicated to Queen Katherine of Aragon who was held here in 1533/4 and it recreates fine designs of a Tudor knot garden with many 16th century herbs and flowers represented.
It is still maintained by members of the Friends of Buckden Towers and may be viewed by application at the main office of the Towers, owned by the Roman Catholic Claretian Missionaries since 1956.
The Roman Catholic church of St. Hugh is also on this site.
These are the most popular keywords used on the site.
View all the keywords used in this catalogue.